Friday, January 18, 2013

"Empty Bowls Dinner" Bowl making

                                              
              My school holds a fundraiser called the Empty Bowls Dinner. Once every other year. People donate soup and food and a lot of people from the town come. The special part is, they sell the bowls that you eat out of and you take it home when you're done, and the bowls are made by the high school students. I have made bowls before in 8th grade art, but I got to again and I realized how much I loved it. Not only making the bowls out of clay and deciding the size and design, but also glazing it. I loved experimenting and mixing colors and glazes in interesting ways to see what would happen. The cool thing is, you don't know what it will look like until after it is fired. I almost never used the same color twice while glazing the bowls, I layered and did a different inside and a different outside. I chose colors that I thought would mix nicely together and would be interesting. I almost always had a color scheme to my bowl but had no idea how it would turn out. I lost track of how many I made and what they looked like, and I really did like the freedom of the project. I put my heart into it and had a lot of fun. It was always exciting when a bowl came out of the kilm that ended up being really interesting, and I'm not sure if one of mine were, but at least I know I tried.


No comments:

Post a Comment